Chrysler automotive products seem to be having a series of manufacturing problems that may inadvertently cause extensive injury or death to its owner, says Alabama liability attorney Keith T. Belt .
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 vehicles manufactured December 17, 2012, through January 22, 2013. The parking brake cable equalizer was set incorrectly and may not hold the vehicle on a 20% grade. Thus, these vehicles fail to conform to the parking brake performance requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 135, “Light Vehicle Brake Systems.” If the parking brake fails to operate as designed, the vehicle could roll when parked, increasing the risk of a crash. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N22.
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2013 Dodge Dart vehicles manufactured on November 27, 2012. Some vehicles may have been built with incorrect rear brake calipers, which could result in an inoperable parking brake. If the parking brake is inoperable, the vehicle could roll when parked increasing the risk of a crash. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N21.
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks manufactured January 7, 2013, through March 6, 2013. The engine cover may trap an excessive amount of heat under the cover. The excessive heat under the engine cover may result in an under hood fire. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N19.
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2007-2008 Dodge Nitro 4X2 vehicles manufactured March 21, 2006, through March 1, 2008; and 2008 Jeep Liberty 4X2 vehicles manufactured February 15, 2007, through March 1, 2008. The transfer case heat shield may drop down and rub on the drive shaft, weakening it and potentially causing the drive shaft to break. If the drive shaft breaks, a section of it can strike the transfer case tunnel with enough force that the airbag computer will believe the vehicle is in a crash and thus deploy the airbags. Additionally, the drive shaft failure will result in a loss of motive power. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N10.
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2012 Jeep Patriot and Compass vehicles manufactured October 18, 2011, through May 7, 2012. Due to an incorrectly manufactured transfer tube, the transfer of fuel from the secondary side to the primary side of the fuel tank may be interrupted, causing the engine to stall. If the engine stalls while driving it may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N17.
- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, and Dodge Charger vehicles manufactured April 11, 2011, through December 14, 2011. The affected vehicles may have improperly sized terminal crimps on the seat side-airbag wiring harness which may cause the seat side-airbags to malfunction and illuminate the airbag warning light. In the event of a crash necessitating airbag deployment the airbags may not operate as designed, increasing the risk of injury. Chrysler’s recall campaign number is N07.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace both driver and passenger seat airbag wiring harnesses, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during April 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753.
About Belt & Bruner, P.C.